Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Initial Phishing Simulation - Do you tell them first?

From: David Eilken <david.eilken () DOMAIL MARICOPA EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 10:29:36 -0700

Thanks All,

Great feedback all around. I'll let you know how it all turns out at the

Best,
Dave

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:03 AM Eric Sawyer <esawyer () nec edu> wrote:

Dave,

This is the 2nd org I've worked for that used KnowBe4 for phishing
education. One in health care and now in higher ed. I find it an excellent
tool for setting up and tailoring campaigns based on what's in the wild at
the moment. For example, back when Equifax broke, I was able to inoculate
the users to the scams that popped up. I've done the same for Hurricane
Maria relief scams and others. I find that varying the timing of tests, the
level of difficulty, and the info on the landing page helps to keep it
useful.

I agree with the approach others have mentioned. Never punitive. Keep it
humorous, fun and educational. And it should only be one tool in the
arsenal. Speak to new hires at orientation. Speak at the faculty and staff
retreats. Hold a lunch and learn. I'm also having someone from the FBI
speak about cyber awareness this fall. IT also has a blog and regular
communications that address phishing, vishing, smishing, etc.

On the issue of informing users, it shouldn't be your decision alone. I
met with senior management to make the case and get their buy-in. In both
cases, sr mgmt agreed that users were to be informed that testing would be
done, the reasons behind it, the goals of the program. But they were not
told when to expect it. In fact management wanted good data to justify the
program and to demonstrate its effectiveness. We continue to run campaigns
at least every quarter.

Eric Sawyer
Director of Technical Services
New England College

--
[image: Maricopa Community College District Office logo]
DAVID EILKEN MA MBA CISSP-ISSMP CISM CRISC C|CISO