Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Reseach

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <gl89 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 13:38:43 +0000

Dear Ron,

I agree with your first reaction.

Others have suggested hash-and-analyze-then-store-encrypted; an extra
wrinkle on this would be to suggest the researcher download the hashes of
compromised passwords from https://haveibeenpwned.com/, and analyze to see
if the students are not only reusing, but using already-compromised creds.

Best,
--
Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt
Cornell University IT Security Office