Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

VPN Concentrator replacement

From: "Akey, Michael" <Mike.Akey () OREGONSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 20:51:28 +0000

Hello Security list,

At OSU we're looking to replace our aging Cisco ASA devices with a new VPN solution.  We wanted to know what other
higher-ed institutions are using these days with regards to VPN for end users (not site-to-site/cloud VPN).  Our
current solution was very over-built for how it was ultimately used and we only have about 100-300 concurrent users on
any given day.  Any solution we go with must support Duo 2fa - though I'm seeing that nearly any VPN service is
supported by way of a RADIUS shim or custom login pages for SSL web VPNs.

If you've recently moved to a new VPN solution and are willing to briefly share your experiences with certain
vendors/products I would appreciate it.  If you know of a good article or existing survey of what other higher-ed
institutions use for client VPNs I'd love that too.

Thank you,

Mike Akey
Systems Engineer, IT Infrastructure
University Information and Technology | Oregon State University
541-737-4948 | uit.oregonstate.edu