Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: KnowBe4 Security & Awareness Training Feedback

From: Austin Bollinger <austinbollinger () GRCC EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 10:25:53 -0400

I hear great things about KnowBe4 which may be a great hands off option.
If you want a more affordable and flexible option as in free puppy that
takes a little extra work, read on.

It all comes down to what resources/tools do you have and is there
enough allocated time to make this work - the DIY phishing simulator and
training. We can thank open source contributions for making this more
realistic otherwise we would have to program a phishing simulator from
scratch - one already exists courtesy of Jordan Wright
( https://jordan-wright.com/)  from Duo Labs!

If you/coworkers are not afraid of or willing to learn certbot and
maybe basic Postfix then consider https://getgophish.com/ followed by
https://github.com/ILiedAboutCake/DirectoryPhish or use PowerShell
yourself to pull your own AD users out. Import into Gophish via csv
which is documented well over here
https://docs.getgophish.com/user-guide/building-your-first-campaign/importing-groups

Now you have the phishing simulator part done after ideally firewalling
off the admin panel (default port for admin is 3333).

Next step, get your phishing training in working order. Working with a
postsecondary facility, there is bound to be LMS (Learning Management
System)! Good news is there is FREE SCORM compliant training for
phishing so you can even track grades on-prem. Head over to
https://cofense.com/cbfree-download-all/ and at the top left "CBT -
English (All Modules)" within you will find:
CBT_Advanced_Spear_Phishing_V4_HTML5.zip
CBT_General_Phishing_English_V4_HTML5.zip
CBT_Spear_Phishing_English_V4_HTML5.zip

Good luck and have fun whatever your choice is! If anyone has a
question, feel free.

Regards,
Austin Bollinger
IT Security Analyst
IT at Grand Rapids Community College
austinbollinger () grcc edu |
https://grcc.edu/informationtechnology/informationsecurity

Neal O'Farrell <neal () SCHOOLEDINSECURITY ORG> 3/29/2019 9:30 AM >>>
I'm not in higher education but know KnowBe4 for years and while their
products are highly regarded, they are also highly generic. Which
usually ends up diluting their effectiveness.

I think there's a good opportunity for an immersive awareness program
specifically tailored for the needs, challenges, and audiences of higher
ed.

A good start might be for people to chime in with what they feel they
need or are missing, and that current solutions don't provide. You can't
fill the gaps until you identify them.

Neal.

Neal O'Farrell
Schooled In Security
www.schooledinsecurity.org
neal () schooledinsecurity org
(925) 914 0248 (EST)

When we say "next generation security," we really mean it!

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 9:15 AM Frank Barton <bartonf () husson edu>