Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: The Slate breakin

From: Ruth Ginzberg <rginzberg () UWSA EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 19:15:40 +0000

Providing all users with a password manager might also be a relatively effective strategy.  Or even letting users know
that a BYO-PasswordManager would be allowed under the institutional policies they need to follow.  I think many end
users don’t know anything about password managers, wouldn’t know how to choose one even if they did know about them,
aren’t sure whether they are more or less of a security risk than not having one, and wouldn’t know whether using a
password manager would or wouldn’t violate their university I.T. policies even if they did know they wanted one and
know how to select it.

Ruth Ginzberg
608-890-3961