Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you deal with "fake" student applications?

From: Edward Murphy <emurphy () UWSA EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 22:17:51 +0000

Hi Byron,

This phenomenon is fairly common in open access institutions. The motive that I’ve noticed is the .edu email address.
Did you know you can buy a .edu email address on Ebay? The .edu email address is then used to get discounted, or free
software and services. Many open institutions grant email addresses upon application, which is what the bad actor is
seeking. Some schools have changed business processes to require an additional item as verification, before granting
the email address. For instance, you must submit your transcript before an email address is provisioned.

- Ed

Edward P. Murphy, CISSP
Director
Office of Information Security
[cid:image001.png@01D45FDD.2C57CDF0]
780 Regent Street, Suite 305
Madison, WI 53715
emurphy () uwsa edu<mailto:emurphy () uwsa edu>
608.800.6701