Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 802.1X password reset issues

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:58:34 -0500

Hi Jim,

Full disclosure, I've not implemented this, but am looking to do so at a
future time.

Which part of your infrastructure is doing the locking?  If it is your
directory, and you are using AD, you should be able to set the Password
History Check to a higher setting to avoid this exact situation.  Then,
you would just need some way of identifying users in this situation and
reminding them of the offending devices.

"Password history check (N-2): Before a Windows Server 2003 operating
system increments badPwdCount, it checks the invalid password against
the password history. If the password is the same as one of the last two
entries that are in the password history, badPwdCount is not incremented
for both NTLM and the Kerberos protocol. This change to domain
controllers should reduce the number of lockouts that occur because of
user error."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc780271(v=ws.10)

Thanks,
ep