Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student phishing, "internship" opportunities, etc.

From: "Scantlin, Aaron J." <ScantlinA () MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:02:50 +0000

We've experienced this from time to time... very rarely do they try and impersonate a University official on such a
large scale, but it's not unheard of.

In addition to what you've already done, it might also be a good time to remind your users what some best practices for
ensuring an e-mail isn't a phish:

  -Verify that the sending e-mail address is indeed from your organization
    -To that end, setup SPF and DKIM to help protect your users from spoofing
  -Legitimate University of Arizona e-mails will not ask you to send PII via unencrypted channels [hopefully! :)]
  -If something sounds too good to be true, there's a fair chance that it is too good to be true

You might not be able to use all of that depending on your campus' political climate, but coupling technical controls
with more aggressive awareness seems like a good way to attack this problem.

Aaron J. Scantlin
Security Analyst, Division of IT
GSEC, GCFA
University of Missouri, Columbia
(W) +1-573-884-7555
(C)   +1-573-424-0539
scantlina () missouri edu<mailto:scantlina () missouri edu>