Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Login Request

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 09:26:28 -0400

Chris, we haven't run into this here, but here are my thoughts on the
matter:

1) You are absolutely correct - data should be saved to profile only, so
even if someone else did sign in, assuming they didn't have administrative
access, they couldn't access the data.
2) Full disk encryption - right on, bitlocker or whatever, usually has a
PIN/passcode to prevent the computer from even being booted by unauthorized
folks
3) "No" - if it is a university laptop, "you" (being a representative of
the IT Department) need to maintain access to the laptop
4) depending on the nature of the data, other controls may be in order
(host-based firewall, encrypted folders, etc.)
4.a) If the data is *that* sensitive it probably shouldn't be stored on a
laptop that can leave controlled environments
5) Audit trail - set up access logging so that you can prove who has
accessed the sensitive data
6) how is this data being backed up?
7) how secure are the user's credentials? MFA?

We have identified certain information on campus, and make sure that it is
stored on specific file-shares, for which we have access logging enabled
specifically so that we have the audit trail of "who has seen this"

Frank