Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IoT on campus wireless - policies and controls

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:51:02 -0400

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 12:11:12 -0600, Rhonda Johnson said:
Aims Community College is interested in finding out what other institutions
are allowing / disallowing for IoT connections to campus networks.

The first thing to decide is what class(es) of devices you're planning to deal with.

Just BYOD?  Or including department/college owned gear such as security
cameras, environmental sensors, and so on?  Do you want to make a distinction
between things that talk to a campus-based controller versus things that talk
to something out in the cloud?

For BYOD, do you want to include any and all personally owned gear, or
have one set of rules for smartphones/tablets, and a second for other
devices? What about tethered devices hanging off another device? (I've
discovered that Android 8.1 broke USB tethering, so if I want to use my
phone to tether my laptop, I have to use "local hotspot" mode...)

Just things that talk on the campus wireless, or including stuff hanging off a
an ethernet hub or wireless  that a professor or employee connected to the RJ45
in the wall that sits on the campus wired network?

And of course, the biggie - never make a rule you can't enforce.  Which
means that you'll need to come up with ways to detect/monitor stuff (and
remember that a lot of this stuff talks IPv6 these days, so if you haven't
gotten up to speed on that, you're going to have a big blind spot...)