Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ODBC Access to Oracle

From: "George J. Silowash" <gsilowas () NORWICH EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 14:08:28 +0000

Hello,

I am currently researching the security implications of allowing ODBC access to an Oracle database, in particular,
Ellucian Banner.  I have a user requesting ODBC access to the Banner database. My gut feeling is to prohibit this
access, but I need more information.

Does anyone have best practices for implementing this? Or, what are the reasons for prohibiting access? I am most
concerned about:

-Data integrity
-Access control of tables and fields
-Accidental database denial of service (a query that is not constrained appropriately, etc.)

Is Oracle security enforced on an ODBC connection? Some research on other applications implies that it is not. Any help
or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
George
George J. Silowash, MSIA, CISSP-ISSMP, CCFP, GCFE
Chief Information Security Officer
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield VT 05663