Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email and IAM directory separation

From: "Bennett, Daniel" <00000061b05c90f6-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 19:07:16 +0000

All,

I left higher ed and went to healthcare a few years back.  Now our health system owns a College.  The topic of email
and active directory has come up a few times.  I would like feedback from those of you working for universities with a
healthcare element and the approach you all have taken.  My thought is our higher education and clinical businesses
should remain separate since the level of trust, regulation, and security are different for both sectors.  We should
not house the email from our students & faculty at the College in the same environment as that of our clinicians and
healthcare administration.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel Bennett
Enterprise Cybersecurity Architect
CISSP, ISSAP, ITIL

Information Security Office
100 N Academy Ave, Danville, PA 17822-2290
MC30-02
(w) 570-214-1685
[cid:image001.png@01D3BA15.F8CDC1F0]<http://www.geisinger.org/>

IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any) is confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please delete
all electronic copies of this message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you. Geisinger Health System utilizes an encryption
process to safeguard Protected Health Information and other confidential data contained in external e-mail messages. If
email is encrypted, the recipient will receive an e-mail instructing them to sign on to the Geisinger Health System
Secure E-mail Message Center to retrieve the encrypted e-mail.