Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

A "default stance" question for my esteemed Educause colleagues....

From: Michael Schalip <MSchalip () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 16:27:03 +0000

Hi Folks,

Looking for some wisdom from the masses....

We currently use full disk encryption on (in theory) all laptops.  However - there is a proposal on the table to
establish a requirement to encrypt the hard drives on all *desktop* computers as well.  I've been down this path before
(in a couple of previous work environments), so I'm keenly aware of the pros/cons of adopting this kind of default
stance.  However - we're wondering what the rest of the academic world is doing....

In short - operating under the assumption that encrypting most (if not all) laptops is a good idea - what do the rest
of you do when it comes to encrypting your desktop computers?  Do you:

*         Encrypt any of them?

*         Encrypt ALL of them?

*         Encrypt only faculty/staff computers?

*         Encrypt only certain ones?.....which ones?  What's the criteria?

*         Make encryption an option left up to the department or user?

Looking forward to the collective responses....

Thanks,

Michael