Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do students hold universities accountable for protecting their information?

From: Curt Kappenman <ckappenman () ANDERSONUNIVERSITY EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:51:45 +0000

Keith McIntosh originated this discussion with this question: "Do students hold universities accountable for protecting
their information?"

I have read the feedback from many colleagues and I agree in principle with all.  I think the simple answer to the
question posed is "Yes."  Our students have the conception (whether rightly or wrongly) that while they are associated
with our institution, we are protecting them and their data.  Some of us have, because of our charters and
institutional policies, the ability to filter what access our students have to the internet; while some have to allow
their students access to whatever comes.

For many years this "condition" has existed and we have learned to just deal with it.  I think that because of the
changing landscapes of the digital world and the importance that data is playing in or everyday lives, we as IT
professionals are going to need to re-evaluate where we need to stand.  As more focus falls on the misuse of someone's
data, the more focus will be drawn to our policies and procedures.

I know that we are all seeking to provide all the protection we can for our constituent's data.  We need to just be
diligent and continue:

1.       to pursue the best protection for our user's data that we can provide.

2.       to seek to educate our user's in how they can help us protect themselves and their friends.

3.       To regularly re-evaluate our policies and procedures to keep in step with the changing landscape.
Our protection from extensive and costly litigation may very well rise and fall on what we are doing not just how we
are doing it.

Curt Kappenman
Security Compliance Officer
Anderson University