Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do students hold universities accountable for protecting their information?

From: "Hudson, Edward" <ehudson () CALSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:25:03 +0000

Seconding Josh’s comments.

Best Regards,
Ed Hudson, CISO
California State University, Office of the Chancellor

On Jun 11, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Josh Callahan <josh.callahan () HUMBOLDT EDU<mailto:josh.callahan () HUMBOLDT EDU>> wrote:

Hey Mac,

At this point, I'd say the answer is largely "no."  I agree the expectations are there, but they are more de facto.  We
all list damage to institutional reputation when we are enumerating risks, but what I haven't seen is a causal reaction
where a major breach happens and students steer away from that school to the point where FTE is impacted.

I think it's coming though, Europe's GDPR is being followed by some similar state level legislation around the US.
That push is being driven by some real frustration with this string of private sector revelations: Equifax, Facebook,
all the major carriers selling our location data and a feeling of helplessness watching those happen with no real
consequences.

-Josh