Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CIS vs NIST

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 11:01:50 -0400

On 3 May 2018 at 10:39, Bridges, Robert A. <bridgesra () ornl gov> wrote:

This is interesting, Kevin. Thanks for sharing.

What's the cost to the host that's got audit data collection on? Is there noticeable slowdown/high memory cost, etc?

I run it across all of my Linux hosts and they're some of the most
heavily-taxed systems on campus. The CPU/RAM costs are low
single-digit percentages (IIRC it added <5% CPU); the disk cost can be
high if the system is already struggling with I/O so I've stopped
using auditd + syslog and now use auditbeat from Elastic.

Even on the Windows side, process auditing and powershell script-block
logging have added minimal overhead.

Since you're at Oak Ridge, if you're coming to Blue Ridge Con then
look for the bald guy in the khaki Utilikilt and Scotland shirt, I'm
happy to chat about it in-depth =)

kmw