Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Third-party external services using your email domain

From: Rob Milman <rob.milman () SAIT CA>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 22:54:43 +0000

Hi Thomas,

We went through this last year. As much as I don't like to take advice from Microsoft, they actually put together some
good advice on this very subject.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tzink/2015/03/13/how-to-align-with-spf-and-dmarc-for-your-domain-if-you-use-a-lot-of-3rd-parties-to-send-email-as-you/

We ended up creating a sub-domain to reduce our risk exposure. It has worked well so far with at least 2 other mail
vendors.

Regards,

Rob Milman
Associate Director, Information Security
Information Systems

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
EH Crandell Building, GA 214
1301 - 16 Avenue NW, Calgary AB, T2M 0L4

(Office) 403.774.5401  (Cell) 403.606.3173
rob.milman () sait ca