Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SIEM Tools

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:45:00 +0000

You’ve touched on one of the key pieces of the SIEM space: finding the sweet spot for your team on usability and
configurability.

A more technical team/individual who wants to spend some time to tweak things might look more towards a Splunk or ELK
based option. Skilled teams have made really cool things with solutions like these.

A team that wants to focus on out-of-the-box functions and is willing to put staff time on the triage side rather than
config side, might go with a Logrythm type option.  Or similarly, perhaps a team that has one deeper tech and more SOC
operator staff might want a solution designed around one person builds dashboards/searches and others review/respond to
alerts.

IMO, in both cases the vendors (and often customers) undersell the amount of effort it takes to get something up and
running from scratch to alerts with a decent signal to noise ratio (that also don’t have a lot of false negatives).

Like anything, it’s about figuring out what you want to accomplish, what resources you have now, and which path bridges
the gap between present and future best for your team/organization.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado