Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Storing SSN on file server

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 14:23:26 -0400

On 19 March 2018 at 13:52, Macatiag, Darwin <dmacatiag () mtsac edu> wrote:

I’ll second Brent’s solution since it will help with data classification.
You’ll probably also want to set up whole disk encryption on that separate
file server as well since most regulations require encryption of data at
rest.

Since you're the second person to mention WDE, I would only say that
*especially* in the context of file and database servers one should
take a long, hard look at how to interpret "at rest".

kmw