Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT Users List

From: Alan Bowen <abowen () FANDM EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 19:59:31 -0500

Franklin and Marshall adopted the HECVAT tool and further customized it to our specific needs in late 2017.  We
indicate to vendors that we will accept either the standard non-modified full or lite version or our specific
customized version.  A shared repository for reference and consultation will help with the adoption and awareness of
the HECVAT tool for institutions.  Definitely worthwhile but perhaps in a different way than originally thought. In our
experience at F&M, vertical market and niche market vendors self-select to not have their assessments shared for
reasons that would surprise no one.  However, they expect residual value in anticipated future engagements from having
completed the HECVAT exercise, even without having results shared or published, through re-use.

-Alan