Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Solutions to Identity Proof Students for Classes and Exams

From: Thomas Dugas <dugast () DUQ EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:35:50 +0000

Hello all,
I had sent this to the IDM CG but am sending to the Security CG as well to see if anyone might have some thoughts or
solutions they have used.

One of our schools are looking for a more automated means to identity proof students as part of class attendance and
also for taking electronic exams. Right now they check students into each class and more specifically exams with a
bunch of faculty and proctors that takes up significant time of the sessions.

Just to provide some scope, they currently do 25,000 check-ins with about 3-4 sessions a day on average and 10 a day on
high days. Class sections are 75-100 students with some combined for up to 150 in exam sessions. So this is a
tremendous time sink today that they are hoping to remediate. They do use Exam Soft and Examity for some exam sessions
but due to cost it isn’t used in all exams.

I wanted to ask if anyone has implemented software solutions that utilizes ID’s, Blackboard, Banner or some other
solution that makes the process quicker while keeping the confidence and integrity high.

Thanks,

Tom Dugas
Director, Information Security/New Initiatives
Duquesne University