Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Security Plan

From: George Larson <george.g.larson () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:24:48 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Leon DuPree <duprleo () gmail com> wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for Sensitive information Scanning tools?  I used
to use Spider many moons ago for scanning FERPA data.
Now I am scanning source code that will be re purposed for development...
I have some commercial tools like IBM App Scan but this tool is looking for
OWASP Top 10 and bad coding, not PHI, ot PII data.

​We're thinking PII/PHI would be hard-coded into the source code?  If
that's correct then the tool doesn't need to be concerned with the fact
that it is scanning source code, right?​

​Nessus has a plugin for this:

https://www.tenable.com/blog/detecting-credit-cards-ssns-and-other-sensitive-data-at-rest-with-nessus
  https://support.tenable.com/support-center/nessus_compliance_checks.pdf

OpenDLP:
  https://code.google.com/archive/p/opendlp/

Or perhaps this project (written in R) could easily-enough be tweaked to
consume the relevant file formats:
  https://github.com/J-PAL/PII-Scan