Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Measures of detecting breached email accounts

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 03:34:50 -0500

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 14:14:23 -0800, Joseph Tam said:

In another scenario, s student shoulder surfs an office staff members,
gets a rough idea of keyboard location of the password, then tries variations
from your local WiFi.  That's tough, and I concede if you investigated
that, it could have caught the student.  However, as I pointed out, the
problem is differentiating this from the 100x more likely scenario that
someone fat fingered their password.

Note that this can be distinguished from "somebody forgot to update
the saved password" because a student trying different passwords won't
be issuing the attempts every 5 minutes on the nose.

Similarly, most "trying a variant on a broken password software" won't
spread the attempts out and try a new variant every 5 minutes, because
that ends up lowering the success rate.

So you can distinguish both those cases from "forgot to update password".

And if somebody *does* have a legit reader that *does* start looping and
hammering on one password every millisecond when it fails to authenticate,
and as a result looks like a password cracker, you *still* want to know about it,
just so you can tell the user to update his damned software so it's not bogging
down your LDAP (or whatever) infrastructure.