Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Endpoint Protection - App Whitelisting?

From: Chad Tracy <chad.tracy () COLBY EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:18:34 -0500

Good afternoon,

We currently use Carbon Black's CB Protection (application whitelisting) on
some of our end user computers (*we have a licensing for 300 endpoints...
however we only ever got it working on around 70 Windows machines...)* It
has not been working out well and we are looking to move in a different
direction.

I recently learned, from a call with Gartner, that "typically" application
whitelisting is utilized on servers and systems that are fairly locked down
(think of machines used by the insurance and medical industry, kiosks...)

Knowing this, we are looking to see what you all are doing to lock down
your systems to assist in ransomware and zero-day incidents:

Have any of you had luck in deploying application whitelisting on their end
users machines... or is this a lost cause that takes to much money and FTEs
to support?

Do you have Endpoint protection deployed on your campus?

If so, who with?

Kind Regards,

Chad Tracy
Director of Information Security