Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inventory Benchmark

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:37:08 -0400

I think that one thing you are going to run into is seasonal changes...
Over "break" times your off-campus number is going to increase.

I would try to break it down further
-Of static machines (Desktops) I would be very strict. <5%
-Of Critical machines (say Servers), even more strict 0%, pending approved
downtime
-Of mobile machines (laptops), I think it depends on your criteria of how
recently do you allow for a check-in to count for reporting in? past week?
past 48 hours?

Also, can you have machines report in from off-site?

tl;dr - too many variables to put a quick number on it.

Frank

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Barton, Robert W. <bartonrt () lewisu edu>