Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Awareness Training - a rehash

From: David Stack <dstack () UWSA EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:42:44 +0000

The University of Wisconsin System has a policy that requires security awareness training.
https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/information-security-awareness/

A few of the salient elements:

Any individual or entity that has access to moderate or high risk data must:

  1.  Upon hire and annually thereafter, acknowledge and accept the UW System Acceptable Use Policy and any applicable
institutional Acceptable Use Policy. Access to UW System data and information technology resources may be withheld
until the Acceptable Use Policy(s) have been accepted.
  2.  Annually complete information security awareness training, which acknowledges that they are aware of security
best practices, and their roles in protecting the university’s systems and data. All newly hired employees are required
to complete the information security awareness training within 30 days of their initial hire date.
  3.  All contractors, consultants and business partners are required to abide by UW System acceptable use policies
prior to being given access to university systems and data resources, when possible.
Students with access to only their own data, will on an annual basis:

  1.  Receive notification of the UW System Acceptable Use Policy and any applicable institutional Acceptable Use
Policy.
  2.  Have access to an information security awareness training which includes security best practices, and their roles
in protecting the University’s systems and data.

Revisions to the policy are in the works.

All of the UW System institutions have access to the “LawRoom” training modules from Everfi and that is the default
training unless an institution already had something of its own.

Administering the training is an “other duties as assigned” activity for the IT staff at the campuses.

— David

David Stack
Interim Associate VP & CIO
University of Wisconsin System