Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Legalities and Penetration Testing

From: Velislav K Pavlov <VelislavPavlov () FERRIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:11:58 +0000

David,

Take a look here http://www.pentest-standard.org/index.php/Pre-engagement. The Rules of Engagement and Scoping document
should spell out what is included and not included (techniques like DoS, phishing, parameter pollution, backdoors
during post-exploitation and targets). Define the schedule and testing times. The rules of engagement should spell out
what happens when a vulnerability is discovered, is the vendor to act on it or notify you first, what happens with an
exploit? Determine your communication chain for findings and emergencies. You would typically sign a master service
level agreement to give permission to the vendor to test based on the scope and rules of engagement. Consider having
BAA if HIPAA is to be accessed along with confidentiality/Non-disclosure agreement. Discuss what happens to the results
and how they are protected at rest and in transfer. Make sure you understand the difference between security audit,
vulnerability scan, red teaming, and penetration test. If PCI is in scope, check this guideline
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/Penetration_Testing_Guidance_March_2015.pdf. Overall document for
selecting vendor, preparing for, and managing pen test outcomes can be found here
https://www.crest-approved.org/wp-content/uploads/CREST-Penetration-Testing-Guide.pdf. Feel free to shoot me an email
if you need more information. Best wishes.

Vel Pavlov | Coordinator, IT Security
M.Sc. ISM, CISSP, C|HFI, C|EH, C)PTE,
Security+, CNA, MPCS, ITILv3F, A+
Big Rapids, MI 49307
VelPavlov () ferris edu<mailto:VelPavlov () ferris edu>
[cid:image001.png@01D24414.DC8BCD70]

Notice:This email message and any attachments are for the confidential use of the intended recipient. If that isn’t
you, please do not read the message or attachments, or distribute or act in reliance on them. If you have received this
message by mistake, please immediately notify VelPavlov () ferris edu<mailto:VelPavlov () ferris edu> and delete this
message and any attachments. Thank you.