Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Repeated authentication attempts from same IP not same ID

From: Garrett Hildebrand <gdh () UCI EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 12:24:51 -0700

We take the VPN logs in Splunk and there is an alert that looks
for multiple login failures from the same IP. There is a certain
noise factor for off-campus apartments that provide wireless
coverage and NAT off one IP, but you get to know those. If it
looks like the activity you described is going on, we block the
IP at the border.

Garrett
-==-==-
G.D. Hildebrand              Senior IT Security Analyst
UC Irvine, OIT, 6137 Ayala Sci Lib., Irvine, 92697-1175
tel.: 949-824-8913                   email: gdh () uci edu
Created new page 15 December 2016
My URL is http://about.me/garretthildebrand
*Splunk - the Benihana of log-data slicing and dicing.*

Don't be a victim of phishing. Legitimate businesses don't ask you
to send sensitive information through insecure channels. Learn more:
http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2016/3/april-dont-get-hooked
Handle passwords wisely: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37510501