Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 2fa for PeopleSoft

From: "Wiltzius, Robert L" <Robert.Wiltzius () GOTOLTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 18:30:33 +0000

Greg,

GreyHeller has an ERP Firewall<http://www.greyheller.com/products/erp-firewall/>, which installs on the PeopleSoft web
server and can force 2FA on pretty much what ever you want within PeopleSoft.  In order for 2FA to work properly
though, you'll need to also couple the ERP Firewall with a 2FA delivery service, like Duo.com<http://duo.com>, which
can increase the overall cost of the service.  GreyHeller's option will work pretty much right out of the box, but it
comes at a cost.  The GreyHeller ERP Firewall is also modular, which means you can include the ability to apply rules
based on their geographic area.  The Duo option offers the flexibility to choose which 2FA delivery option you would
like to make available (phone call, text, soft token, etc).

Another option that will require a little bit more time to setup, but will ultimately save you a ton (from a licensing
and maintenance support perspective) in the end is to leverage a PeopleSoft 2FA project that was created by Colton,
which was published on his site, PeopleSoftMods.com.  A link to his project can be found
here<http://www.peoplesoftmods.com/2fa/two-factor-authentication-in-peoplesoft-part-1/>.  This is the option that we've
went down.  We are already successfully testing it in development and working on some enhancements.  This option
leverages  Google Authenticator and we can even assign this as a role and apply the role to certain users.  Depending
on the user and the purpose behind it, some users are in AD and some are locally authenticated.  This solution works
with both.  We even have been able to white-list certain IP addresses so users are only prompted for 2FA when they are
coming in or performing a certain action from an un-trusted network.  One thing to make note of is the Google
Authenticator option requires the user to have a smart phone. <http://www.duo.com>

Thank you and have a great day,

Robert Wiltzius

WILM Network/Security Administrator