Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT Tool usage

From: Sue McGlashan <sue.mcglashan () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:54:09 +0000

Hi

We have had our own questionnaire that we asked vendors to complete.  This was a requirement of the RFP process – i.e.
if they did not complete the questionnaire, they did not progress further.  We only assess the final chosen vendor.
Caveats – we have more than one campus, so not all RFPs are requiring this.

We also go through a risk assessment for other vendors, if we are asked, for vendors that do not need to go through a
RFP process.

We are planning to start using the HECVAT, as we see the value for vendors in not completing a different questionnaire
for each institution. We will add a separate document to cover parts that are missing from the HECVAT (mostly PIA
questions based on our requirements), or for questions that are too US centric.

So, the HECVAT will become part of the process.
- and thanks again to the volunteers who put it together

--
Sue McGlashan,
Information Security Architect, ISEA