Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEISC January 2017 Update: New Resources & List Reminders

From: Sharon Pitt <spitt () BINGHAMTON EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 10:32:17 -0500

Thanks Valerie.

I'll add that I believe that there is a very important article on data
privacy and autonomy privacy in the Security Matters blog column by Sol
Bermann:
http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2017/1/free-to-be-you-and-me-autonomy-privacy-in-higher-education

Happy day before Data Privacy Day!

Sharon

Sharon P. Pitt
Associate Vice President and CIO

Binghamton University

http://www.binghamton.edu/its/

<http://itservices.gmu.edu>

Binghamton, NY  13902
(607) 777-3621 (W)
spitt () binghamton edu

twitter@sppitt

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Valerie Vogel <vvogel () educause edu> wrote:

Happy new year, Security Discussion Group members!

HEISC volunteers are starting to meet again and begin planning for new
community resources in 2017. The biggest update this month is that
Information Security is the #1 issue in the Top 10 IT Issues list for the
second year in a row. Learn more at: http://www.educause.edu/itissues.

*NOTE: This message also offers some friendly reminders about
participating on the Security Discussion list.*

*Data Privacy Day Resources*

   - Register for tomorrow’s (January 26) EDUCAUSE Live! webinar on big
   data and data privacy with Cindy Compert (CTO, Data Security & Privacy,
   IBM): http://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2017/
   big-data-whats-the-big-deal
   - Find additional resources by visiting our Data Privacy Day page:
   www.educause.edu/dpd or NCSA’s website: https://staysafeonline.org/
   data-privacy-day/.
   - Read the latest privacy guest blogs in our Security Matters
   <http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters>column
   <http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> (several new blogs
   will be published in January and February).

*New & Updated HEISC Resources*

   - See the latest *EDUCAUSE Review* articles about security:
      - Information Security: Risky Business
      <http://er.educause.edu/articles/2017/1/information-security-risky-business>
      - Combating Security Uncertainty with Security Awareness
      <http://er.educause.edu/articles/2017/1/combating-security-uncertainty-with-information-security-awareness>
      - Create a Security Operations Center on Your Campus
      <http://er.educause.edu/articles/2017/1/create-a-security-operations-center-on-your-campus>
   - The new *Information Security Guide* chapter on Privacy
   <https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/2014infosecurityguide/Privacy>
   has been published
   - IT Considerations in Implementing Preferred Name Policies
   <https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/11/it-considerations-in-implementing-preferred-name-policies> was
   published along with an *EDUCAUSE Review* article, “Supporting
   Students’ Gender Identity: An IT Perspective
   <http://er.educause.edu/articles/2016/12/supporting-students-gender-identity-an-it-perspective>
   ”
   - Read the last two guest blogs published in 2016: Fast-Forward: Bug
   Bounties Abound
   <http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2016/12/fast-forward-bug-bounties-abound> and
   Lessons Learned from 2016’s Major Cybersecurity Incidents
   <http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2016/12/lessons-learned-from-2016s-major-cybersecurity-incidents>
   - Don’t forget! As you work on your 2017 campus security awareness
   campaigns, we have 12 guest blogs with ready-made, customizable content:
   www.educause.edu/securityawareness
   <http://www.educause.edu/securityawareness>

*Security Professionals Conference (May 1-3, 2017 in Denver, CO)*

   - May 1-3, 2017: The Security 2017 program is live. Registration is
   also open. See you in Denver! http://www.educause.edu/sec17
   - April 10-12, 2018: Please save the date for our 2018 conference in
   Baltimore, MD.

*Security Discussion Group
<https://www.educause.edu/discuss/security-discussion-group> Participation
Reminders!*

   - This list is public; anyone is welcome to subscribe.
   - Archives are publicly available and searchable.
   - Posts to this list may be aggregated by other sites such as
   http://seclists.org/.
   - Replies will automatically go to the entire list. If you intend to
   respond directly to an individual on the list, please be sure to check the
   “To:” line before sending your message.
   - For more sensitive questions or sharing of information, consider
   using the REN-ISAC <http://www.ren-isac.net/> list if you are a member.

*Stay Informed*

   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/HEISCouncil
   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HEISCouncil/
   - Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/heiscouncil/
   - *EDUCAUSE Review* Security Matters blog column: http://er.educause.
   edu/columns/security-matters

Questions or comments? Need resources on a specific topic? Please e-mail
us at security-council () educause edu

Thank you,
Valerie

*Valerie Vogel* Senior Manager, Cybersecurity Program

*EDUCAUSE*
*Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good*

direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | twitter: @HEISCouncil |
educause.edu <http://www.educause.edu/>