Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Membership in REN-ISAC

From: "Hart, Mike" <mhart20 () MSUDENVER EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 13:43:46 +0000

Adam,
                I've been a member for a few years.  I haven't ever felt like I was expected to contribute in order to
receive.  I see 100 or so emails every week (some weeks are double or triple if something major is brewing.)  A small
amount of the emails are requests for information from the ISAC, but the majority are responses to these requests, or
just general updates about issues and concerns.

                I'd strongly recommend membership.  I have seen a number of benefits for my team and myself, including:

1)      Assistance in responding to an incident on campus, with helpful suggestions and references.

2)      Input on vendors and solutions we're either evaluating or are currently using.

3)      News on critical security incidents that are not yet in the news, and behind the scenes information about items
we're only seeing general information on via other sources.

4)      Alerts on password dumps and pastes that I'm not seeing from other sources.

5)      Heads-up on bad actors - alerts on domains and IPs that are seen attacking other institutions so I can block in
advance.

6)      Great conversations about security and other IT related topics.  We don't always agree on how to approach every
topic, but it's great to see input from a wide variety of individuals with different viewpoints and levels of expertise.

7)      Daily and weekly summaries of events so you don't have to necessarily stay on top of the emails real-time.

Mike Hart  | CISO, Director of ITS Security, Infrastructure, and Networking
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Information Technology Services

mhart20 () msudenver edu<mailto:mhart20 () msudenver edu> |
www.msudenver.edu/technology<http://www.msudenver.edu/technology>
[University_Formal_2CPos[1]]