Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Student Network connections

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:40:54 -0500

Good morning folks, We are in the process of looking at dropping our
student, residential, network connections onto their own internet
connection, partially because of their bandwidth needs.

When we look at our business network, we have high standards for
protection, monitoring, IPS, etc. When looking at the student connections,
how are other folks treating them? Stateful Firewall? full IPS? DPI?
Content filter? from the cost side of the equation, the traffic that a
"firewall" can handle drops drastically the more layers to the security
onion you enable.

As a side, related, question - how much bandwidth are you providing to your
students on a "per-head" basis? (or per kilohead) In the recent FCC report
on bandwidth usage,  for K-12 they advocated for 1Gbps per kilostudent,
however the use-case for residential university students is different than
for non-residential K-12 students.

Thank You
Frank

--