Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2016 is HERE!

From: Eric Weakland <eric () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:12:42 +0000

National Cyber Security Awareness Month<http://www.educause.edu/ncsam> has officially started. Please help us raise
awareness on campus as we observe the 13th anniversary of NCSAM this October.

Hopefully your college or university is one of the 100+ institutions formally supporting #CyberAware Month this year.
(If you haven't signed up as a NCSAM Champion<https://staysafeonline.org/ncsam/champions/>, it's not too late!)

Here are a few NCSAM 2016 highlights. If your campus is hosting any awareness events or activities, we'd love to hear
more!

Week 1 (October 3-7): STOP. THINK. CONNECT: The Basic Steps to Online Safety and Security

  *   Join NCSA via Facebook live<https://www.facebook.com/events/1601983480096014/> for daylong coverage of the
Official NCSAM 2016 Launch Event on October 4, starting at 11:30 am EDT. (NCSA also maintains a list of other
events<https://staysafeonline.org/ncsam/events/> taking place this month.)
  *   Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat, October 6, 3-4 pm EDT.
Week 2 (October 10-14): From the Break Room to the Boardroom: Creating a Culture of Cybersecurity in the Workplace

  *
Register<http://www.educause.edu/events/educause-live-top-attack-techniques-top-human-risks-and-how-create-cyberaware-culture>
 for our free EDUCAUSE Live! webinar on Tuesday, October 11, 1-2 pm EDT: Top Attack Techniques, Top Human Risks, and
How to Create a Cyberaware Culture with Johannes Ullrich and Lance Spitzner
  *   Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat, October 13, 3-4 pm EDT.
Week 3 (October 17-21): Recognizing and Combating Cybercrime

  *   Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat, October 20, 3-4 pm EDT.
Week 4 (October 24-28): Your Evolving Digital Life

  *   If you'll be in Anaheim for EDUCAUSE 2016, don't miss the NCSAM Featured Session, Creating a Culture of
Cybersecurity<https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference/agenda/creating-a-culture-of-cybersecurity>, with Michael
Kaiser (Executive Director, National Cyber Security Alliance), October 27, 8-8:50 am PDT.
  *   Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat, October 27, 3-4 pm EDT.
Week 5 (October 31): Building Resilience in Critical Systems

  *   Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat, November 3, 3-4 pm EDT.

Don't forget to visit the EDUCAUSE Review Security Matters column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters>
frequently - new blog posts on the 5 NCSAM themes will be available each week.

Sincerely,

Eric Weakland and Pat Falcon
HEISC Awareness & Training Working Group Co-Chairs