Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Policies or Procedures around tracking of stolen mobile devices

From: "Nevin, Dave" <Dave.Nevin () OREGONSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:54:07 +0000

Hi Security Fans—

I’m starting to work on establishing a set of procedures around tracking of stolen laptops on our wireless here and
thought I’d check in to see if anyone had this already in play before I reinvent the wheel.

Basically, it is easy enough for us to have our wireless management system ping us when a specific MAC address shows up
on the network—but what specific procedures are followed around that information, proper release to law enforcement,
different handling between personally-owned and university-owned devices, etc.

I’m glad to share what I come up with if no one has already done this already—but just in case someone has and they’re
willing to share I’d be incredibly grateful.

Thanks!

Dave

--
Dave Nevin