Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: security assessments for cloud based vendors

From: Jim Dillon <jim.dillon () CU EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:46:43 +0000

Alex,

While I'm aware that we've asked for some of these items, a full evaluation (audit) of our practice is yet to be
pursued.  I've reviewed cloud provider's through their SOC2 as attested by a third party reviewer.  Apart from
contracting a right to have a third party assessment, this is a method that may at least provide some insight into the
vendor's relative maturity.

The more interesting and growing problem is how do you require this of their subcontractors, and their subcontractor's
subcontractor, and so on, and so on  (anyone old enough to remember the shampoo commercials?)

The expanding cloud environment makes the assessment prohibitive, and usual security by inspection methods somewhat
ineffective.  How do you inspect what you can't find in whatever sub - sub cloud it may be traveling through?

So no answers for you other than an appeal to be sure you take into account some assertion on the vendor's part that
they hold their subcontractors to like standards and that they will provide/facilitate third party attestation for
their subs.  You may have thought this through but not seeing it in your list I felt compelled to call it out.  The IT
security industry will need some new frameworks and approaches before all this settles as many of our more static
assumptions simply won't  (don't?) apply.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Dillon
Director of IT Audit Services, CU Internal Audit
303-735-7028