Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Guidelines

From: Steven Alexander <steven.alexander () KCCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:06:16 +0000

I just started at in my role so I’m looking at our password requirements generally.

We’re not blacklisting, but it’s something that I want to do.  I’d like to use a large list, e.g. all dictionary words
+  RockYou + Linkedin.  If anyone has actually put blacklisting into practice, I’d love to hear about what you did and
how it went.

I think that the password advice that’s been given out for years is generally bad.  NIST still recommends eight
characters but it also says that we should use PBKDF2 which most systems do not use.  I think that this will be
intentionally and/or unintentionally misread to justify sticking with eight characters even when PBKDF2 (or another
strong KDF/password hash) is not in use.  With PBKDF2 and a reasonable cost value, eight characters is probably enough
but for other systems (e.g. Active Directory with MD4), the minimum needs to be about 15 or 16 characters if you care
about offline attacks at all.  Offline attacks are at least a million times faster than when we first started
recommending eight characters.

I’m thrilled that password expiration every NN days is not recommended.  Password expiration hurts security and the
idea needs to die.

I’m also very happy about the stretching and salting recommendations.  I’d love to see them recommend Argon, bcrypt or
scrypt but PBKDF2 is way better than any of the one or two iteration hash solutions that are out there.

Regards,

Steven Alexander
Director of IT Security
Kern Community College District