Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bit9 and getting rid of anti-virus tool

From: "Cobb, Raisha" <cobbr () WSSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:05:40 +0000

I share Eric’s sentiments…

Looking at a product called Cylance (SaaS solution), which takes a different approach to AV by using mathematical
models and Artificial Intelligence to handle real-time endpoint protection.  They claim you can use them with your AV
solution (client agent avg. 5MB of memory, 1% of CPU) or solely use theirs.  Pretty interesting, and doesn’t require an
Internet connection or signature updates. Supports MS XP SP3 and up, Server 2003 and up, Mac OSX, next month RHEL 6 &
7, and integrates into SIEM.  Has AppControl, HIPS

Plan is to release McAfee and go to free Microsoft with this product running in tandem.  If all goes well with our
testing and comparing of success ratio/false positive results, looking to migrate solely to Cylance.  I perceive
possibly being able to replace other applications with this such as DeepFreeze, and greatly reducing the amount of
devices requiring wiping/re-imaging and the time wasted by our support staff.

If any other University is a Cylance customer, I’d love to hear from you on your experiences with the product
(deployment, ease of tuning, reliability, performance, lessons learned, etc.).

Regards,

Raisha Cobb
Executive Director of Communications Technology  & Information Security Manager
Office of Information Technology
♈  Winston-Salem State University ♈
1209 Elva Jones Computer Science Building
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
Email: cobbr () wssu edu<mailto:cobbr () wssu edu>
[cid:image002.jpg@01D1A1F5.EFBDD530]<http://www.wssu.edu/>

This message and any response to this message is being sent from a state e-mail system and may be subject to monitoring
and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.  This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom addressed. If you have received this
email in error, please notify your email administrator. If you are not the named addressee, you should not distribute
or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete the
message from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking
any action in reliance on the contents of this information is prohibited.