Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Policies for today's knowledge worker

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () UCI EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:43:21 -0800

On 02/09/2016 05:45 PM, Larry K. Emmons wrote:
Neal,

In a similar discussion I was challenged with a question. "Why do I need to
change my password?"  I went through the typical responses about security and
was then asked the same question again.  I pondered my dilemma and was then
enlightened with a response.  I should only have to change my password if it
has been compromised.  If it hasn't been compromised, why change it?

Chicken or egg?

We've had compromised IDS used several years after the student graduated (they
get to keep their ID so they can get transcripts, etc).  The only recent logins
we could find were the people who had the compromised credentials so they've
held on to them for some time.

--
Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926