Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Minimum userid character length

From: Antonio Crespo <acrespo () BARNARD EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:46:13 -0500

I see this as security through obscurity.  The longer the username, the
harder it may be to find a valid username and attack actual accounts.
However, that requires obscurity everywhere and I'm not sure how much
complexity it adds since a lot of institutions have public directories of
users, and many email providers allow email address harvesting attacks.

For our students, we mirror Columbia's username consisting of initials plus
an arbitrary number.

For Faculty and Staff we use a 7 digit combination of names to make the
accounts easier to remember.

--

Best Regards,

Antonio Crespo
Senior Director, IT Security
Barnard College

*"*Passwords are like toothbrushes: don’t share them, and change them
periodically!"

***This message is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the
distribution or copying of the information contained in this message is
strictly unauthorized and prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message from
your system.  Opinions, conclusions or other statements in this message are
neither given nor endorsed by Barnard College.  This email is for
informational purposes only and not meant to bind the sender or Barnard
College.***

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Carroll, Tim <Carrolltd () roanestate edu>