Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 13:42:40 +0000

I didn't know MBSA was still around. We used it extensively years ago by integrating it into a network registration
system that was used on student resnets. Students would need to run the utility. Negative results (missing OS patches),
would be used to block access until self-remediation was completed. It was very effective. We discontinued its use
given the proliferation of MacOSX and mobile devices.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager, Information Security
Information Technology Services
University of Toronto

This email and any attachments contain privileged and / or confidential information for internal University of Toronto
communication only unless otherwise indicated.

Hello all,

Are any of you using Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) to regularly scan servers and desktops for missing
patches?

We are having a discussion internally about differences between the report from Microsoft's tool and another vendor's
patch management tool.  MBSA is reporting missing patches that the other tool is not.

Is MBSA broadly used and trusted?

Also wondering if anyone is successfully using mbsacli with lists of computers reliably or if various factors
(permissions, firewalls, power-downs, etc.) make it too difficult to use broadly?

Thanks,

Ben

Benjamin Stein
Information Security Officer
California Cancer Reporting and Epidemiological Surveillance (CalCARES) Program
Institute for Population Health Improvement
UC Davis Health System
1631 Alhambra Blvd, Ste. 200
Sacramento, CA, 95816
Phone:  916-731-2563
Email:  bstein () ccr ca gov<mailto:bstein () ccr ca gov>

The CalCARES program partners with the California Department of Public Health to manage the operations of the state
mandated California Cancer Registry program