Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security team and budget

From: David Seidl <dseidl () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 13:45:58 -0500

Theresa,

Here are some major items that I've seen as security cost drivers:

- IDS/IPS
- Threat insight/advanced anti-malware tools (related to IDS/IPS, but aimed
at APT and similar issues)
- Layered firewalls
- SIEM
- Vulnerability management
- Awareness programs
- Forensic capabilities
- Compliance efforts - PCI, export controls, and others
- Endpoint security, including BYOD and desktop/laptop/mobile device tools
- Encryption and other data security items

The big network devices and SIEM systems tend to have major outlays and
reasonably large ongoing support costs that scale with the size of the pipe
you're protecting. Datacenter security tends to cost quite a bit too, as
that bandwidth if often bigger than campus borders

And a few others that are sometimes related, depending on organizational
design:

- eDiscovery tools and support
- Identity related tools like auditing and monitoring systems
- Patch management / version management

Finally, this recent SANS Reading Room article seems useful as a way to
think about trends and where you are spending your security budget dollars:

https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/leadership/security-spending-trends-36697

Page 12 was the big impact page for me.

David

David Seidl
Senior Director of Campus Technology Services
dseidl () nd edu | 574-631-7305