Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-Phishing - show of hands

From: George Moore <gmoore () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:36:34 +0000

Hi Eric,
Who are you phishing?
We sent to sensitive departments first, then all faculty/staff.

What are you using?
We used all free tools. We saved a particularly clever phish one of our users fell for, this made our test realistic.
We used Linux mail commands to send the email. We used a bit.ly link inside of the message to give us statistics on how
many people are clicking. We decided to not collect credentials. If a user clicked, they were led to a special landing
page that contained tips on how to identify email scams.

How long have you been phishing your customers?
Only a year. We generated a lot of awareness.

Here are some other bits of advice:

Have a really strong response plan for when a user reports a phishing email to you. Most of what we did to perform this
phish was lifted from our response plan.

Track your rate of actual phishing incidents and password disclosures. That type of logging is what you will need to
prove to yourself and others that the awareness program is being effective.

Accept that some amount of users will always fall for email scams. Think of alternate controls and monitors to catch
those rare cases.

Thanks,
George Moore
Director of Information Security