Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email address/account practices for college employees that change positions

From: Katie Newth <katie.newth () AIMS EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 11:17:20 -0700

Hello everyone.

We are in the process of working through procedures on handling different
scenarios of employee transfers within the institution.

Some concerns we have heard include:

   1. Employee keeping or losing access to sensitive docs within their
   current email account if they move to position across campus with no need
   to access those documents (we are okay with cleaning out their email
   accounts and moving old emails to another location)
   2. Future incoming emails from individuals that may not know the person
   moved positions - concerns around: the fact that they should no longer have
   access to contents of email (such as reports or other information not
   pertinent to new position), the email may not get forwarded to old
   department for replacement person to handle (once a year reports, etc.)

What do you all practice in terms of email address for a staff position
that is moving from one department to another, especially those moving from
a sensitive position to a less sensitive position (i.e. HR)?  Do you allow
them to keep the same email address (ours is currently
firstname.lastname@emaildomain) or do you change it?    How about those
individuals that may be a staff member and a PT faculty member?  If they
are no longer in a staff role, do you make them change email addresses as
well when they no longer should have access to that information going
forward?  If you do change it, do you feel it causes a drop in employee
morale when they no longer fit the normal naming scheme?

Also, if you have both short term and long term solutions, we would love to
hear those as well, especially short term solutions.  We have some ideas
around long term which include adding additional domains to separate some
of this, but at this time we are under one domain and it would be a large
project that would require buy-in.

Thanks for your feedback!

*Katie Newth*
*Information Security Analyst*
Aims Community College
5401 W. 20th Street
Greeley, CO 80634
970.339.6395 (Office)
katie.newth () aims edu <http://katie.newth@aims.edukatie.newth () aims edu>

*IT staff will never ask you for your username and password. Always
decline to provide the information and report such attempts to the
help desk (x6380).*