Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adobe Flash

From: "Tevlin, Dave" <dtevlin () VISI ORG>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:20:40 -0400

Greg, the vSphere webclient that VMware is pushing more and more features
into, while stripping them out of the vSphere Dektop Client, is Flash based
and that is what I am referring to .

Under 5.0 you could still do most things in the desktop client, with 5.5 a
bit less, and under 6.0 the desktop client is used primarily for Update
Manager and you are forced to use the web client. From reading the
tea-leaves on why this occurred it seems like they wanted to distance
themselves from MS including using .NET which the desktop client is built
on. This was more a political decision than a practical one in my opinion.

Count me as not a fan of this decision, more so when you consider they
build the interface for the new product EVORails in HTML5 according to
Duncan Epping's blog.

Dave