Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Qualys Express

From: Antonio Crespo <acrespo () BARNARD EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:45:31 -0400

Hi Thomas,

Here are some quick comments - In a previous role/organization about 3
years ago, we used QualysGuard Express, web application scanning, and their
PCI ASV approved scanner for our external facing services.  We used it
mostly for scanning windows and cisco devices.  We didn't integrate the
scanner with any services, but manually managed the findings in our
existing ticketing system.  We opted to install an appliance onsite that
allowed us to scan internally as well.  The IP management was strict due to
their licensing, so any time that we wanted to change an IP address, we had
to open a request to do so.

The express scanning was easy to use, receive alerts, or obtain reports;
and the findings came with links/references to help people to understand
the findings.  Not a lot of false positives if you give it server
credentials when scanning.

The web application scanner was new at the time and was very high level for
an automated scanning tool, but we ran it daily.  You could save
credentials and it found some some minor XSS and other items at that time,
but I followed up regularly with manual testing for more thorough/complex
testing and found issues.

The PCI scanning did it's job for us, which was giving us an easy way to
get a PCI approved scan to submit to our acquiring bank.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions or want more detail
on anything above.

I hope this helps.

--
Best Regards,

Antonio Crespo
Director, IT Security
Barnard College | Columbia University

*Avoid "phishing" scams: * Review phishing and spam avoidance tips on the
Columbia website by searching for the word *PHISHING*.

***This message is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the
distribution or copying of the information contained in this message is
strictly unauthorized and prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message from
your system.  Opinions, conclusions or other statements in this message are
neither given nor endorsed by Barnard College.  This email is for
informational purposes only and not meant to bind the sender or Barnard
College.***

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Thomas Carter <tcarter () austincollege edu>