Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Multiple .edu sites reportedly victims of db theft

From: "Milford, Kim" <kmilford () IU EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 16:48:56 +0000

REN-ISAC serves as the Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT) for the higher education community.  When we
receive information regarding cybersecurity incidents, we analyze the information available and notify impacted
institutions.  As part of the CSIRT activities, we track incidents reported on security lists, including this one, and
process reports of cybersecurity incidents accordingly.  More about the CSIRT service can be found here:
http://www.ren-isac.net/csirt/.

REN-ISAC is increasingly seeing in the use of pastebin as a site for the publication of compromised institutions and
credentials as well as details from hacks.  We're working to automate CSIRT activities to allow for more timely
analysis and notification of pastebin dumps, thereby allowing victims to respond more readily.

Feel free to report incidents directly to us at soc () ren-isac net  or (317)274-7228.

Kim Milford

Executive Director     REN-ISAC
2719 E. 10th Street, Suite 201 /   Bloomington, IN 47408
office: +1(317) 278-4815 / cell: +1(317) 625-7800 / fax: +1(812) 856-7400
kmilford () ren--isac net

Indiana University
Research Education Network - Information Sharing and Analysis Center / ren-isac.net
24x7 Watch Desk:  +1(317) 278-6630, soc () ren-isac net