Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Deprecation of SSL Certificates Using SHA-1

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:20:39 +0000

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for replying.

FWIW, were discussing our options here now.  Personally I'd like to see all SHA-1 certificates that are expiring on or
after Jan 1st 2016 replaced with New SHA-2 certificates.   This should keep the certificates from having any of the
alerts Chrome intends to put up.  (BTW, I already see these on some certificates, it's not a problem yet.  I just fear
that we need to be in front of this before it becomes one.)

That's a lot of work, so it's nice to know what others are doing in this regard.

Thanks again.