Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Destruction/Secure Deletion

From: Thomas S Wolfe <tswolfe () UALR EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:43:11 -0600

Frank:

I hope this note finds you well.

DBAN is a useful tool for secure erasure of traditional hard drives, but it
is not effective against SSD-based media.  Shredding is a definitive
solution for media destruction, provided an appropriate shred width is used
-- it is noteworthy to mention that a smaller shred width is required for
SSD-based media vs. traditional media.  There are also firms you can
outsource media destruction to (e.g. www.expressdestruction.com) at a
reasonable price, however the risk of loss in shipment may exceed your
institution's tolerances.  Record keeping of media destruction activities
should comply with Federal, State, or institution record retention
requirements if any apply -- your institution's General Counsel / Internal
Audit is probably the best source for advice in this area.

Best & Respectfully--
Tom Wolfe

--
*Thomas S. Wolfe | Deputy Chief Information Officer*
University of Arkansas at Little Rock | Information Technology Services