Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISO and Record Management

From: "Walters, Caroline (cw8de)" <cw8de () ESERVICES VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 17:07:04 +0000

Hi Folks,

As Randy indicated at UVA Records Management does report to the CISO, but I would like to indicate that Records
Management should be a separate FTE – and be staffed by someone with Records Management experience and training.

I recently spend some time looking at other Universities and where Records Management reports – and also looking
outside of education.  Attached is a Cohasset Study which done every two years, and shows the trends in RM report –
it’s growing with IT/Legal/Compliance and moving away from Facilities/Finance.

Also if you have not read the ECAR publications on Records Management and Information Governance, I highly recommend it.
http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/supporting-information-governance-through-records-and-information-management?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email+marketing&utm_campaign=ECAR+Update

Happy to discuss other issues off line.
Caroline

Caroline J Walters, CRM
University Records Officer
Information Security, Policy & Records Office
University of Virginia
Box 400898
Charlottesville, VA 22904
(434) 243-9162
cjwalters () virginia edu<mailto:cjwalters () virginia edu>
www.virginia.edu/recordsmanagement<http://www.virginia.edu/recordsmanagement>